Setup Two-Factor Authentication
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a secondary security measure to verify an individual’s identity before signing-in. Blockchain of Things encourages the use of a two-factor authentication policy to ensure there is extra protection on the Catenis account.
Blockchain of Things takes security very seriously so it is vital that your Catenis account is always secure. We encourage everyone to set up two-factor authentication.
Implementing two-factor authentication requires an application such as Authy (Recommended) or Google Authenticator. Aside from these two, there are several other options on the market. These applications are free and easy to install. Please refer to the download links below to install the apps.
Authy app for IOS:
Authy app for Android:
Google Authenticator for IOS:
Google Authenticator for Android:
Configuring Two Factor on your Dashboard
Let’s go through the steps of how to set up two-factor authentication on your dashboard using the Authy app through an IOS device.
From the Catenis admin dashboard, go to the drop-down menu at the top right corner of the screen and click “Profile” (see figure 4).
On the Profile page, click on the “TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION” link (see figure 5).
Next, the screen will display that the Two-factor authentication (2FA) is DISABLED in red if it is not enabled already (see figure 6).
Click the “ENABLE” button.
The “Enable Two-factor Authentication” window will display a QR code alongside with its alphanumeric counterpart right below it (the one in the red circle; see figure 7).
- Scan the QR code with the authenticator app if the device has a camera. Otherwise, manually enter your unique alphanumeric code that will be directly below the square as illustrated in the red circle in figure 7.
- Next, click the “Proceed” button.
Next, enter the verification code displayed in the Authenticator app to complete the enabling process (see figure 8).
- Enter your code presented in the Authenticator App
- Click the “Verify” button to enable two-factor authentication
Finally, the Catenis admin dashboard will indicate that the Two-factor authentication is ENABLED successfully in the green color (see figure 9).
In the event that the Authenticator application is inaccessible, use the recovery codes to sign in. These codes will be the only way to access the account. Each code can only be used once. We strongly suggest that customers generate recovery codes, print them, and store them in a safe place.
- After setting up Two-Factor Authentication, recovery codes are assigned, (see figure 9a). Click the “SHOW RECOVERY CODES” button.
A pop-up window will display six Recovery Codes (see figure 10).
- There is the option to download the available recovery codes to the device. Press “Download Recovery Codes” to do so. It will download as a text file (.txt) with the name “Catenis_recovery_codes”.
- Alternatively, click the “Copy to Clipboard” button to copy the codes.
It will be beneficial to see how the recovery code works. To do so, log out, go to the login page for the Catenis account. Enter the appropriate credentials (username and password), and, upon request of a Two-factor authentication verification code (see figure 11), input any one of the six recovery codes instead. MAKE SURE THE HYPHEN THAT COMES WITH THE RECOVERY CODE IS INCLUDED (i.e. if the recovery code is “14eae3-5e2e2”, input “14eae3-5e2e2” and not “14eae35e2e2”).
Regenerate Recovery Codes
Customers have the option to create a new set of recovery codes. Mind that the last active set will become obsolete.
After the customer signed in with a recovery code, the code used will become inactive. Thus if there were 6 recovery codes before, there will now only be 5 left. Before all codes are utilized, generate a new set of 6 codes.
To do this, click the “Regenerate recovery codes” link from the Two-factor authentication screen (see figure 11a).
A pop-up will ask to confirm the action (see figure 12).
- Type in the phrase, “yes, I do confirm it“, verbatim (the prompt is not case sensitive).
- Click the “Confirm” button.